Facebook Hashtags work on personal profile posts, fan page posts, group posts, event posts, and all comments. As with all personal profile features on Facebook, privacy settings prevail.
If you publish a post on your profile to friends only, and the post contains a hashtag, the hashtag will be clickable and open up to display all other posts on Facebook containing that hashtag but:
- Only friends can see friends-only posts that show up in hashtag searches. - Public posts—with or without hashtags—are public.
- Private (friends-only) posts—with or without hashtags—are private and visible to friends only.
- Even when friends include hashtags in comments on your friends-only thread, your post is still private and visible just to your friends.
- With hashtags shared in private groups, the hashtag will open to show public posts with that tag (along with any friends' posts with that tag), but posts from the private group would only show to members.
- Individual comments on threads do not surface in hashtag searches; just posts show in searches.
Based on the above facts:
- Facebook hashtags aren't effective like twitter because of the privacy issue.
- Facebook made a huge favor to twitter by giving awareness on hashtags. (twitter best utility)
Facebook has to connivence their users to change their posts visibility to PUBLIC and that will be totally hard why?
On twitter there's nothing to lose while on facebook you will be under a huge threat:
- Users on facebook are keeping all their life photos, gave a lot of details on their lives (work, experiences, school, collage, material status, life-events, families, close friends, and much more...)
- While twitter has nothing than an Avatar and a small BIO
- For brands:
- Facebook hashtags aren't measurable like twitter and i believe that social media tools won't be able to do so because of facebook API issues.
- When people search or click hashtags and find no useful or new, up-to-date stories.
Conclusion: from my point of view, i believe that facebook hashtags will fail BIG TIME, It's my pleasure to receive your comments and have more insightful conversation :)